E&E, wire & cable Imerys minerals improve the mechanical properties and flame retardant properties of plastic E&E components
Imerys minerals make excellent reinforcement fillers in E&E thermoplastic components. They are ideal partial replacements for flame retardants in thermoplastics, E&E and wire & cable applications.
E&E housings for computers, TVs and electronic devices
Imerys talcs, wollastonites and micas make ideal reinforcement fillers in E&E thermoplastics for computer, TV and electronic device housings where they provide:
- Improved dimensional stability, reduced thermal expansion, shrinkage, warpage and anisotropy
- Increased stiffness, allowing down-gaging and weight reduction
- Better stiffness / impact balance
- Excellent heat and flame resistance (FR synergy)
- A matt surface
- Enhanced scratch and mar resistance
- An excellent alternative or extender to glass-fiber fillers
- Dielectric improvement
We particularly recommend the following products for E&E components:
Minerals for FR synergy in E&E components
Imerys minerals can be effective when used in combination with aluminum hydroxide (ATH), magnesium hydroxide (MDH) and/or intumescent flame retardants. Imerys talcs, micas and wollastonites improve flame retardant (FR) efficacy, mechanical properties, rheology and processability of compounds used for E&E components, while reducing the overall formulation cost.
- Limit gas emission and oxygen diffusion resulting in delayed combustion
- Create a physical barrier effect limiting heat and mass transfer
- Reduce dripping in intumescent systems
- Improve thermal stability
- Promote char formation
- Improve ash cohesion
- Reduce smoke and afterglow
We recommend Luzenac 1445 for PP quenching and intumescent systems.
PE and EVA wire & cable applications
Imerys talc’s lamellar morphology, hydrophobic and electrically neutral platelets make it an ideal char former and partial replacement for MDH and ATH in EVA compounds used in flame retardant (FR) applications, reducing compound costs.
- Limits gas emission and oxygen diffusion resulting in delayed combustion
- Creates a physical barrier effect limiting heat and mass transfer
- Promotes char formation
- Improves char cohesion and strength
- Reduces smoke and afterglow
We recommend high aspect ratio HAR® talc for exceptional flame retardant (FR) performance in EVA systems.
Imerys mica grades are cost-effective additives for partial replacement of ammonium polyphosphate (APP) in halogen-free flame retardants (FR) polyolefin formulations commonly used to meets UL94 V0 requirements.
- Improves dielectric properties
- Boosts char formation
- Maintains mechanical properties
We recommend our Suzorite® mica products for partial replacement of APP flame retardants.
We offer a full range of bespoke formulation and technical and process support services to help you match the right mineral grade to your application requirement.